Thursday, March 11, 2010

Two stash busters

So my resolve was set this year.....
to have any chance of spending money for the


THIUK TRIP

I was going to have to avoid buying any material this year...
I have plenty under my bed to use up !!...
I have actually found this to be quite conducive to creating...
instead of just buying "safe" I have had to step out a bit ....
substitute instead of matching...
must say I am quite enjoying it..
once I got over the headache !!...



Anyway it was my Great Nieces 7th b'day ...
so what do you buy a 6/7 yr old that has everything..

I am not kidding..even her mum was stumped for present ideas

so off to the sewing room
.... I had made 4 string blocks.....
just to try it & see if I think I might do lots of them to use up my bits!!...
so I sewed them together & just went from there ..
I was really quite pleased with how it turned out & the bonus was ...
7 yr old absolutely loved it..
I told her it was to lay on while she reads ...
so that's what she did straight away...







The Baby Quilt was also a stash busting exercise ...I even pieced the batting..

It was delivered last week & is a hit with the parents to be

I don't actually know them (I work with Grandma to be)

But apparently they have painted the nursery in the same green as I used with a feature wall of the bright pink used in the border!! so it matches in really well










I also finished another quilt top I made a boy top & would you guess its going to be a girl!!


I am getting very short of the pink/purple girl stuff so will have to be inventive


So hoping for a bit of sewing tme this weekend got another b'day present to make...

then some tops to get quilted..

working on my UFO's next




11 comments:

loulee said...

It's amazing what comes out of the stash when we can't buy new!
Those are great finishes.

trasha said...

Getting very excited about your big trip. Fingers crossed we get a proper Summer or you.

Dawn said...

wow they look fabulous and I can see why she loved it.. so lovely... Hard though not to match up colors and just go with the flow...

linéa said...

Absolutely wounderful pillow and quilt. Just love them both. I have a shop stop myself and I know about that headache. :-)

Maryjo said...

I am in love with your baby quilt...it is gorgeous! What a lucky little one! Thanks for sharing...love the pillow too!

Mary Jo in Iowa

OzRose said...

Loove the cushion and quilt Claire, I think great niece wood of bean stoked!!! LOL
Know about the fabric saving....going to NZ next year for sure!!!! Yeh on my own!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Great Aunty Claire - I Luuvvv my cushion and have to get it out when I read my School reader every night! C.

Lappeklipp said...

Hi there!
Thanks for your comment on my blogg. I love the pillow cushion and the Babyquilt, I´m a great fan of light colours and especially pink so your quilts landed straight in my hart. I´m sorry but I haven´t translated the bag pattern into english yet. I´m not so good at english and I want the instructions to be perfect so it means a lot of work for me to get it done. Well one day.......
Nice weekend to you!

Hugs from Lappeklipp in Finland

linéa said...

Please please come and visit! Would really really love it!
:-)

DarNonymous said...

Ooooh, that cushion is totally cute!
Great post for a first time visitor to stumble in on! Will be reading more!

Leanne said...

Great gifts. How exciting a hol overseas. I like the idea of a string quilt.