Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Interesting evening

Kayla came home yesterday saying Ive hurt my hand ,I fell over & hit it on a concrete windowsill so being the concerned mum I am I said oh yes & started talking about something else!! now I'm not really callous but if like me you have lived with this child for 21 years with all her bumps & bruises you get a bit immune !! so anyway after watching her try to peel her prawns with one hand & her elbow!! I had a closer look at it & said I think we need to go see about this




So theres an hour spent waiting to see a doctor at the medical clinic, now I hate to sound racist in any way but boy for just once I would like to have a doctor who you can understand when they talk to you, I didnt go in with her , I mean she is 21!! when she came out she was not happy he only said a couple of sentances to her which she couldnt understand plus he mumbled!! After twisting it about which killed her, then asked her when her last period was !!! he says dont know whats wrong doesnt look bruised to me ...ok....off to the Hospital where the triage nurse says oh that looks nasty here have some pain killers 30 mins later one daughter with wrist in plaster!!!.....Will certainly let the clinic know that outcome....doc at the hospital was not impressed when we related the first part of the story basically he could of done more harm than good by twisting it ...plus even I could see that it didnt "look right" & I have no medical experiance at all .. so shes in a trauma cast till next week when we go to the fracture clinic for more xrays but its looks as if it may be 6 weeks in plaster....she was so disappointed that she didnt get a bright pink one last night!!




6 comments:

Shay said...

Poor Kayla! Yep - it sucks it's not pink. If she has to get a cast for 6 weeks she can put in an order for a pink one.

Hope she has wonderful pain killers on hand.

Good you didnt accept the first doctors assertion nothing was wrong!

Kris said...

Yep. Hold out for the pink one Kayla! Hope it feels better soon.

Lorraine said...

Like when you had your last period is really relevant to the wrist problem??? glad you went for another opinion - go the bright pink cast for sure....when my son broke his leg he had a bright blue cast - I did suggest pink at the time..LOL....

Chookyblue...... said...

oh bugger..........poor girl.........hope it is not hurting so much....

Leanne said...

Oh what fun. We nearly had to put my mum down when she broke her wrist. There are so many things you can not do....pulling your knickers up is one of them...... it may be a long 6 weeks.

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog. I know the feeling of not understanding doctors and nurses when they have an accent, heck- it's difficult enough understanding Doctors when they speak English. My only suggestion is that when it comes to your health and welfare one must be assertive and continue to question until "we" understand and if we still don't then the Doctor should write it on paper until "we" understand. My son fell and injured his arm, took him to the clinic & I was told "it doesn't look good, not sure if it's broken without an Xray, we really can't treat you here, so go to the hospital." My child broke his bone. At least the clinic directed me in the right direction, and yes they also touched it and made him cry. Hope your daughter is healing.
A gal in Texas