Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A new quilt..

Yes I know !!!...
I need a new start like a hole in the head but there you go ....
I have had a hankering lately
(well for some time actually)
to do a Dresden Plate .....
I knew that I wanted the pointed blades not rounded
so have been keeping an eye out for a pattern ...
I finally found one from the very talented
Elizabeth Hartman from the
Oh,Fransson! blog



I did a trial block first used up some of my scrap stash ...
I know ....
it's nothing like I would normally make
but I will probably make a small quilt for the
Special Care Nursery at work with it....





It works out at a large 16 inches ...

I really like the large middle circle


So I then cut up some old shirts as I had seen a quilt on Flikr

made with op-shop shirts but changed my mind tonight...

I went to my Kansas Troubles layer cake

I had 26 left so I folded them in half & drew around the template for the blade....

using my (admittedly awful) math skills I worked out I can get 8 blades from each square

so should be able to make 10 blocks...





So hopefully I can get them cut tomorrow & some at least sewn this week....


I haven't decided what to use for the background yet...

might make some plates up first to see if it needs a cream or darker....

So that's my week so far

Hope yours is a good one....

4 comments:

loulee said...

Must be something in the air, I'm planning a plate quilt too!

Shay said...

Careful Claire. Dresden's are addictive. Your test block is wonderful!

Chookyblue...... said...

I love dresdan plates.........

Amy said...

very pretty.